GOAL SETTER AND GETTER
What do you really want?
What is your goal?
Self-awareness begins with self-communication--you asking yourself questions and then answering those same questions for yourself. The specific answers to your specific life questions cannot be found in textbooks, on the internet…anywhere… except from "within" you. Everything else, your surroundings (your Environment)--including what you are reading now, exists to influence you.
You create your reality!
Create goals that bring inner peace, happiness, joy, self-love, gratitude, etc. pertaining to your specific lifestyle. Use the following categories to assist you in creating your goal:
Health (Mental and Physical),
Relationships (Family, Friends, Community),
Use the categories above to further assist you in the creation of your goal. For each category ask yourself...
Where am I now?
Where do I want to be?
How am I going to get there?
Following, you will find 18 questions derived from techniques that I use with clients in our Neurological Linguistic Programming (NLP) sessions. The questions that are asked here were created to consciously guide you to your answers. I have discovered that by truthfully answering these questions not only do you have a “head start” in accomplishing any goal that you set for yourself, you also gain an understanding of why you want to accomplish the specific goal in the first place…and this will give you the support you need to actually ACCOMPLISH it, therefore making your dreams and goals part of your reality.
Use the SMART system to create your goal:
S - Is your goal Specific?
M-Is your goal Measurable?
A -Is your goal Achievable?
R -Is your goal Realistic?
T -Set up your Time frame. (When?)
On paper, write the answers to the following questions:
1. What do you really want for yourself, what is your goal? Be specific, use the SMART system above.
Is what you want (your goal) positive? Will you, and others, reap and sow joy, love, and peace through the accomplishment of your goal? (Yes/No) (If you answered NO, please begin again with a goal that will bring joy, love, and peace into your life and into the lives of others.)
2. When, where and with whom do you want it to happen?
3. How do you know that what you want (your goal) is worth getting?
4. Is your goal within your abilities to accomplish? (Yes/No)
(If your answer is No, begin again with another goal. Your goal can be along the same lines as the original goal. Choose a goal that can be accomplished by you. Confidence in your own abilities to accomplish the goals you set for yourself is the key to accomplishing them.)
5. From a scale of 1-100, what percentage would you estimate that accomplishing your goal is within your control, in your hands? __________% (If your answer is in the range of 0-49% begin again in order to set a goal that is more accomplishable.)
6. How long, time-wise, do you think it will take for you to accomplish your goal?
(It will be more rewarding to choose a short term goal; a goal you can accomplish in less than a few weeks or months. Although, if your goal is a long term goal; a goal that may take years to accomplish—may I suggest that you continue to answer the questions as follows and when you have finished, answer questions 1-18 again using a short term goal that will advance you in the accomplishment of your long term goal.)
7. What resources (abilities) do you have that will support you in accomplishing your goal? (Example: Perseverance, Hope, Patience, Knowledge, Assets, Courage, Strength, Empowerment, Willpower, Time, Creativeness, Love, etc.)
8. How will you know when you have what you want? How will you know when you have accomplished your goal?
9. How will achieving your goal affect your life? Health? Family? Friends? Business/Job? Education? Environment?
10. What and how will you feel when you have reached your goal? How will you act/behave when you have reached your goal? What thoughts do you think you will you have when you have reached your goal?
11. What will your life look like and sound like when you have achieved your goal?
12. What will happen when you accomplish your goal?
13. What will not happen when you accomplish your goal?
14. What will happen if you do not accomplish your goal?
15. What will not happen if you do not accomplish your goal?
16. What are the benefits of not accomplishing your goal? By not accomplishing your goal, what does it allow you to do? When, where and with whom does not accomplishing your goal work for you?
17. Do you still want to accomplish your goal? (Yes/No)
(If you answered No, you may begin again with another goal. Your new goal can be along the same lines as the original goal, only accomplishable.)
18. What will be different as a result of accomplishing your goal? How will accomplishing your goal affect you and your life?
Walt Disney said, “If you can dream it, you can do it.” William Author Ward agreed as he was quoted, “If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it.”
Now, take a moment…read through the next paragraphs and when you have finished reading, with your eyes closed, imagine it… dream it…become it!
Imagine a scene in a movie, your movie, and you are playing the lead role. The scene will portray your life after you have accomplished your goal, what is happening there? Where are you? How do you feel, act/behave, and think when you have accomplished your goal? Activate all of your bodily senses: sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell and imagine…live your goal…close your eyes and sense your goal unfolding before your eyes. What do you see? Who are you? What is happening?
[If your imagined Emotions, Actions/behaviors, and Thoughts (EATs for short) do not lead you to ultimate destinations of joy, love, and peace…begin again with another goal, something you really want for yourself, for your life.]
When you feel and/or think you have experienced your accomplishments, your successes, using your imagination you may open your eyes and come back to your here and now bringing with you all of those wonderful EATs (Emotions, Actions, and Thoughts) to guide you along your journey to success.
Replay, imagine, this scene often, communicating your positive dream/goal in order to create, develop and transform it into your reality. Repeat this worksheet for each and every goal.
Let us know in the comments below what your 1st step will be in order to get one step closer to creating your reality.
For more information on Personal Awareness and Development